Friday 11 November 2016

Splintered by A.G Howard | A Review | #reviewfriday



If I were to say Alice in Wonderland what would you think of? A cute blonde girl and her little adventure? Well brace yourself because A.G Howard  is going to change (perhaps, forever) the way you think of it.
Splintered by A.G Howard review
Splintered by A.G Howard


Title: Splintered
Author: A.G Howard
Genres:  Young adults, fantasy, romance.

So, a few days ago I was watching videos of people's library tours and, among the sea of books in this girl's library, one captured my attention: Splintered.

So I went and looked for it on Goodreads and read the plot. It took me a few times to understand it but when I got it I rushed to get the book. What can I say? I love original and weird things and this book is definitely both. 

Now that I talked about my first impression let's get to the real stuff, shall we?


  • The story is original even if the author took a very well known story.
  • This book is full of details like every good written book should be.
  • The characters have defined personalities and are not dull.
  • Romance and fantasy are well balanced and make you crave for more, more and more.
  • It is a mind blow until the very last page and will make you want to devour the other two books in no time. (like I'm doing now)

Alyssa’s character can be really hard to get and makes many mistakes of that make her seem like any other human. That’s normal, you would say, but if you pay attention you’ll notice that the author probably spent a good amount of his time studying how a peoplewould react, what decisions they would make or hoe they would express their emotions. And so it is for every other character in story.

That’s probably one my favourite parts in a supernatural or fantasy story, when the writers create surreal creatures and think them through: details, behaviour and culture included; creating new worlds that will make you stick your nose between the pages and never get up to study or work.

So if you decide to read this book you’ll notice that some characters are really hard to understand and, until the very end, you will not understand what is going on in their little brains.

The writing style is very lucid yet intricate but if you’re not a native English  speaker or you have just started reading in English, then I suggest you keep Google Translate or Wordreference as your reading buddy. To be honest, in certain scenes I was confused and had to read the them a few times to understand what was happening, not because I didn’t understand the words but because a few points weren’t crystal enough. If you’re a native speaker or are already comfortable with the language you can just chill in your cozy seat and enjoy this good read.


All I’m going to say about the end is that left me surprised and honestly I expected it to end in a very different way but I understand the author’s decision and I am satisfied with it because not everything can happen in the first book.
Personally I ship Alpheus (Alyssa and Morpheus) and I really recommend you this fantastic book.

My rating is 4 / 5


About the reviewer

The name's Naila, I'm a reader, fangirl and Wattpad writer. I'm from Italy and have an endless list of fictional husbands. One of my hobbies is creating ship names. You can find me on Instagram, Wattpad, and Goodreads 

If you also want to contribute to our community through articles,short stories,  reviews e.t.c about books please click on the guest writer tab above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think.