Friday 19 August 2016

The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater | #reviewfriday

I don't do reviews often, I like to talk about them than actually write it. But, once in awhile, a book comes along that pushes you out of your shell and makes you yell to the whole world "you've got to read this. This series was one such series for me. It comprises of The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, Blue Lily Lily Blue and The Raven King. It isn't my favourite series, I probably wouldn't even reread it. But, this book has one specialty which makes me recommend it to everyone.


Series: The Raven Cycle
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: Fantasy
Age Demography: Y.A

This series was a strong contender in our Cover Love Series. I think we have already featured the third and fourth book. They have such pretty covers. Made me want to buy the books just because of it. Okay, enough babbling about the covers, let's get right on with the review. But, first here is what goodreads says about The Raven Boy's story. 

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue never sees them--until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks to her.

His name is Gansey, a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul whose emotions range from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She doesn't believe in true love, and never thought this would be a problem. But as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore.


I read this series after falling in love with her standalone Y.A fantasy The Scorpio Races(it's AMAZING). So, I had high expectations.While, I believe that she has delivered her promise, I am unable to fall in love with the books. It might be because I'm used to kickass Urban Fantasy, and this is comparatively slower. I also don't love the ending very much, although it was packed with drama, it fell a little flat for me. But, I still recommend this series to everyone, you know why?

It's because of the characterization. Stiefvater should be crowned the queen of writing the most life-like characters, she is that good. Even if you may not identify with all the characters, you will still be able to understand them, which I feel is a huge accomplishment. Also, none of the characters felt like they were thee just to enhance the greatness of the lead pair, Gansey and Blue. All of them had their individual aspirations, turmoils, and forbidden dreams. I ended up deeply caring for each one of them, even Noah I love it when a fantasy novel makes you believe it is true, simply because you want the characters of the novel to really exist. Stiefvater has done exactly that.

Her writing is beautiful, she manages to capture entire descriptions in a single sentence, painting the scene so vividly that it remains etched in our mind. Kudos for that.

One thing I respect about both Maggie Stiefvater and David Leviathan is that they don't classify people according to their sexuality. They just write it as if it's no big deal, which is exactly how it should be. Anyone read Everyday by David Leviathan? You should.

A complaint I have about this book is that, although it's a page turner, the pace is slow. I am a bit prejudiced here because most of the novels develop at breakneck speed. So, comparatively speaking, this one had good speed, but it's not fast enough for me.

Rating: 4/5

Which book are you reading now? I am in a reading slump currently, got any recommendations for me. I am a Ilona Andrews and Six of crows fan. Anyone here waiting for the second book of Hidden Legacy or Crooked Kingdom.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you think.